Wednesday, November 19, 2008

reliable.

It came as a surprise.
And that kind of surprise isn't the kind that i welcome.

Last weekend, as i was all prepared to head off to go out for the night, all dressed up, with my pristinely white shoes, my car let me down. My trusty old '96 mazda just wouldn't start up for me. No matter how much i enticed her, she just wouldn't respond to my key turning. Too bad that car was parked in the front of the driveway, and in order for me to get at the van which is nearly as old as me (no exaggerations there, we got it a month after my birth. prettymuchmytwin.), i had to push the broken-down car down the driveway, and then back up. All of this performed in the pouring rain, in my no longer pristinely white shoes. Anyhow, after wrestling the car back up the driveway, and freeing my twin from its confines, i was finally able to set off into the night, albeit 20 minutes late and seven times more irritable.

We sent the car in to be fixed. I found this out on tuesday night as i returned home from work. The parents were nowhere to be found when i walked in that door and niether was the car. I knew something was going down.

I found out later that it was the alternator that was giving trouble, but everything had been sorted out, save for an annoying squealing sound that the car produces every time you step on the gas (The sound was at the perfect frequency to make my spine melt every time i heard it. twasmorethanabitirritating.).

So that was last night, which was perfect, because this morning, i needed my car in order to get myself from school to my piano lesson along with my little brother. Seeing as the car had been fixed, all was well. or was it?

The trip to school was not problematic in the least, except maybe for some mental damage due to the constant "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek". But i learned how to control my urges to gouge out my ears.

After school, i dropped Kevin off at piano, and was on my way to quickly dropping sean off at his house so he wouldn't have to take the bus. Mission was accomplished, we arrived safely at his house, and after being invited in for a while, I went back and stuck my key in the ignition again. Spun it forward. Listened intently. Hoped something would happen. Hoped again. And nothing. So yeah, my battery had pretty much completely copped out on me and next thing i knew, i was asking Mr. Goma for a jump start.

All the dashboard displays were really weak, and so was the backlight for the clock, and the letters on the transmission... the power was quickly running out, and so i swiftly grabbed Kevin and headed home. Of course i got home safely, even through the rapidly falling snow, and the flash-frozen pavement. It was a pretty perilous drive, and with a half functional car. That was more excitement than i wanted.

Up until recently, i could rely more on that car than i could on myself on chocolate. Yeah, that much. And now, i probably won't be taking it out for a drive for a while. Even if i do, i'm gonna be paranoid the whole time. The worst part wsa that i wasn't expecting the breakdown at all. The repair had been done just the night before, and so i had assumed that everything was in order. Evidently i was wrong.

Reliability is huge for me. I'd say that every one of my friends is reliable in their own way. Which is perfect, because i rely on each and every one of them. Whether it's
  • Jason saying the randomest stuff and making the randomest faces that make me laugh for no reason.
  • Glenn cracking a joke that only the two of us would laugh at, and everyone else thinks is the dumbest thing in the world.
  • Arthur playing along with any of my unusual, pointless, and commonly nonsensical charades.
  • Nikko poking me, punching me, kicking me, death striking me, or my favourite, tossing me into the path of a quickly approaching wall.
  • Sean supervising my creation of the most dense aluminum puck in the world, or guiding me through each and every pokemon song in existence.
  • Nathan threatening me or my genitals in some creative way.
I depend on so many people every day for so many different things. And what i've listed is not even a fraction of it. There's many more people with many more "things".

If i couldn't rely on these people for these things, the consequences would have quite an impact on my day. I'm pretty sure i'd be stuck at the bottom of some kind of mental black hole with none of the daily rituals that pull me out of it.

And so i say, reliability is a characteristic that i look for in anyone close to me. Without you people, i'd fall apart. A day without all those little things, is just that, a day, and not a memory. CHEERSBOYSANDGIRLS.

(i was too lazy to go any farther than just those six guys, but there's tons more.)

don'tyoupeoplebreakyouralternators.

Song: If I Were a Boy - Beyonce

leaveacomment.doit.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

for some reason, I was compelled to leave a comment

On a more serious note, I'd say that you, Justin, are one of the most reliable people I know. The only thing that gets you is that you're too nice,
ie.
"DRIVE ME SOMEWHEEEEERE, DO EET."
"no."
"do eeeeee..."
"but..."
"...eeeeet."
"fine okay."
lololololol

Anonymous said...

don't forget my obsceneties!
nothing says "reliable arthur" like an incredibly rude comment, douche bag.

p.s your choice of words is unusually descriptive. no wonder you got a 7 on that commentary

starsandboulevards said...

wow, that turned out to be pretty deep. who knew that a non-functional car could relate to the reliability of the things in our lives? x) but big ups for pointing that out. (y) it kinda reminded me of tok class today. we rely on so many things in our lives, but without them, we won't know what to do. i guess we're all spoiled kids in our own ways. D:

Zephy said...

wah! and you still managed to get to kelly's party man.. if I were you, I'd totally give up and sleep or something (being the lazycat I am .__.)
anyways, glad to know Im reliable! thank youss :D
yay~