Friday, October 31, 2008

freecandy.

The one night all year round that people willingly hand it away.
My elixir of life at every doorstep.

Halloween really isn't the same as it used to be. Every year, the anticipation has been rapidly ebbing away, bringing us to the present, which is free of all anticipation. In fact, i had forgotten about Halloween altogether until Nikko's birthday came along and I thought to myself, "There's something cool near Nikko's birthday... OH YEAH HALLOWEEN."

It's too bad that it's come to this. I really miss the days when i'd be racking my noggin for the bestest costume ideas fruitlessly, dreaming of swimming in candy or showing off my oversized M&M costume (kudos to mom for making that costume, i used it for like three years in a row, never got old. ilovedit.). I was a bit out of place seeing as my friends were always dressed up as hardcore vampires and executioners. It's not very often you see a vampire or executioner in the company of a walking M&M. Oh well, regardless how i might have looked, i liked my M&M costume more than any other costume in the world.

But the absolute greatest part about halloween season was always the actual trick-or-treating. I had it down to a simple science. After many years of experience, i created an intricate mental map of my neighbourhood. I knew which houses gave chips, which ones gave chocolate, and most importantly, which ones gave both. There weren't many that gave both, i can tell you that.


But somehow, Halloween just doesn't feel the same. I was manning the fort today, while my parents caught up on some much needed rest, and I handed out a total of maybe 20 candies? I only had to answer the door like 6 times. Now, i'm not complaining that i wanted to get off my lazy bum more than 6 times (i was quite comfortable playing my game of DOTA. tecchiesftw.). It's just a bit of a change from the usual locust cloud that comes crashing towards our door every year. I guess the bright side is that i have more candy for myself.

All that said, i had a pretty good Halloween this year. It may not have been candy filled, or black and orange but it was pretty decent. A shepherd's pie dinner, a couple games of DOTA and a nice, refreshing powernap all contributed to an above average night for me. Maybe what's actually changing is not Halloween itself, but the way i'm spending my halloweens. (shouldagonetrickortreatin.).

iwantcandy.

This blog was babbled while watching the movie - Untracable (don't watch it.)

4 comments:

whiiteroses said...

i want some leftover candies D:

imakeascene said...

blech oman shepherds pie so gross.

Unknown said...

I have a bunch of leftover candy too... but my mom ate the good chocolate.

VixenVin said...

naw man
i wasnt home but, my parents totally underestimated their candy count
they bought two boxes full of those smarties n kitkat boxes and ran out so my dad had to go to the grocery store n get some more.
so now i have NO candy.
its so depressing.