Saturday, October 11, 2008

thanksforyourgiving.

i've kinda always wondered why we even have thanksgiving.
why do we need to assign a day for thanks?

Saturday of thanksgiving weekend. I just got back from a short, spontaneous apple picking adventure (one orchard wanted to charge us $2.5o a person just to enter. As you can imagine, we ditched and found a more desperate orchard, charge free. stickittotheman.) I was the DD for the trip and as i was tailing a big black SUV who was driving way too slowly down our side of the valley, and i thought to myself "no justin, be nice, it's thanksgiving weekend".

Where did thanksgiving even come from? (i wiki-ed it so i could seem all smart, having done my research, but that was fruitless because they used a whole bunch of big words which i didn't understand. was'nthelpfulatall.) To me, it really doesn't make much sense that people have to designate a certain day a year to give thanks. Why do people have to be so insensitive, uncaring, disconnected, numb, that they can't give thanks throughout the year, throughout the day? No, we have to force it out of everyone once a year to give thanks, and even that comes with the Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce bribe. Let's be honest with ourselves, how many people would actually celebrate thanksgiving if it wasn't associated with huge, tasty dinners? Sure, there are the select few, but i'm quite sure it just wouldn't be quite as popular.

As the years pass (and i'm only 17). I'm realizing that the world is slowly becoming a more cold place. I remember during halloween as a kid, most of my 8 year old friends could make their rounds with just a couple of other zombie and vampire friends. But these days, i doubt you'll see a kid without a parent more than a pitchfork's length away. And this is what i'm seeing all year round, people are slowly becoming less friendly, less honest, less thankful. Maybe it's just me who's seeing this, and i'm not trying to preach doomsday, but it's a little saddening.

I just kinda wish everything could be sunshine, lolipops and rainbows. And we could all just say a quick thankyou everyday so we wouldn't need a thanksgiving. Not that I don't like thanksgiving, or don't want it. I will gladly accept that juicy white meat into my wide mouth tonight at dinner. But i'm going to be more thankful everyday, and not just for the big things. With a recent death in the family, i've come to appreciate every sunny morning.

I've made the decision that from now on, everyday will be thanksgiving for me... without the turkey (awwsnaps.).

thanksforyourtime.

This was scribbled while listening to: Tisbury Lane - Mae

7 comments:

s said...

U R MY HERO

Unknown said...

today our priest said deaths are temporary so there is not much reason to drag it on for a while..i'm glad you're on the optimistic side...it's difficult to be thankful when you've just recently lost something so valuable

Unknown said...

Thanks.

whiiteroses said...

I've always had a problem expressing my gratitude towards people; more so towards my parents than anyone else. I dont know. It may be related to the way I was brought up but whenever my dad or mom would thank me for anything I do for them, I would just shyly walk away and not utter a single word. With friends, it's a little easier .. I'd say thanks to virtually anything.

Even with the annual thanksgiving event, I still find it hard to show my gratitude to my parents which makes me feel guilty at times especially when they do huge favours for me. I'm just not comfortable saying that phrase to them .. call me strange but that's the sad truth.

It's quite nice to hear that you still have the strength to look at the brighter side of things, despite the recent unpleasant events.

Thanks Justin : ) and claps for this entry.

Socks said...

the stuffing is where its at.

Zephy said...

yay justin, I like reading things like this : ] haha
remember on your msn space, you had your little story with "rain".. ya this reminded me of it I dunno why xD

VixenVin said...

preach brotha